Friday, October 17, 2008

First tests of an Exel component for Grasshopper.
The grasshopper-> Excel works really well... and LIVE!

Creating a bidirectional component is a bit harder as Grasshopper only seems to rerun the code when an event in the grasshopper logic is detected.
I am working on an event watcher for excel now to make the Excel-> grasshopper direction possible...
I am quite new to DotNET, does anyone have a good idea for that?

Marc


here another example (simply outputting the z coordinates of a math surface):

6 comments:

Unknown said...

do you have your .ghx with the vb code available?

Jérôme said...

Hi Marc. Your component looks fantastic !

I'm really interested to connect Excel and Grasshopper, but in the other way: Excel->GH.

Do you have a solution for that ?

Once again: congratulations !

Marc Hoppermann said...

hey, smartgti,
I am away till next week and don't have the file with me. Hope to manage and place some code here then.
But there are plenty of examples for using excel with vb.net in the web.
You can basically just copy paste example code to the grasshopper.

wiso said...

Is there a way to do this without using Impoprts? Maybe I am going about it all wrong, but it would seem like you would need to access Excel.Workbook, Worksheet, etc like in Rhinoscript. This does not seem to be the way either, though.

funkchaser said...

Hi Marc,
you've probably already came across this...
http://liquidtectonics.blogspot.com/search/label/Excel

LG,

Marc Hoppermann said...

Hey Anja,

yep, I did, I posted this one quite a while ago and didn't update this blog at all.
The Excel link I do completely different now, with a database driver (as you don't need to have excel open for that).

I'll soon launch a new blog with some new tools.
This blog will mainly be a platform for our students from the different universities we teach:
ABK stuttgart, MSA Muenster, Berlage Institut, avbr Rotterdam, FH Trier and FH frankfurt.
I;ll post a link here...

Schoenen Gruss nach Stuttgart.Bin am wochenende wieder fuer nen workshop dort, vielleicht sieht man sich ja dort...
Marc